At the beginning of our WFPB journey we started trying different cheese recipes. Many out there are cashew based, and are tasty, but also heavy on calories and fat, and let’s face it, sometimes we want to smother everything we eat in cheesy goodness. The fat and calories can add up, especially when our goal is weight loss.
That’s when I tried our first potato and carrot based cheese sauce. And it was closer to the real thing. I tweaked that original recipe and came up with this ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS Oil Free WFPB Cheese Sauce.
Not only do I make this once a week for my husband and I, but I’m slowly replacing my kids Mac N Cheese packet crap sauce with this sauce. So far, they haven’t noticed! I also make this almost every time I go to our local monthly WFPB Potlucks because it’s always a HUGE hit.
We love to put it on veggies, use as salad dressing, add to tacos and wraps, put on baked potatoes, fries, and even chili!
This is my popular video showing how to make it.
If you give it a try let me know below how you like it!
For those needing a printable copy of the recipe here it is:
Potato Carrot Nacho Cheese
- 2 cups diced potatoes any white or yellow potato is fine
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder i personally use closer to 1/4 teaspoon now
- Boil the potatoes and carrots until soft and drain
- Put water, nooch (nutritional yeast), salt, and spices in a blender.
- Add potatoes and carrots to the blender and blend until smooth!